Introduction To Open Water Swimming
Scaling Dam Introduction to Open Water Swimming:
These sessions are aimed at absolute beginners to open water swimming.
Cost is £10 per person which includes 1 additional full swim session.
Session length: 60 minutes approx.
While this session includes entry into the water (conditions permitting), it will not be an actual swimming session, although there will be a swim session starting at 6pm which you are welcome on.
- Basic kit & full kit information
- What kit is compulsory at Scaling Dam
- Course layout information
- Cold water immersion information
- After shock
- Post swim advice
- Club tour
- Risk assessment
- Safety in and out of the water including our safety cover
- Weather conditions at Scaling Dam and what this means for your swim: Fog/Storm/Wind
- Costs and Club membership information (£68)
- In the water safety demonstration.
- Entry into the water weather permitting we will go into the water in the shallows so that you can get a feel of the temperature etc. Very important to reiterate that this won't be a swimming session. You will be able to immerse in the water and stay within your depth, plus practice with the safety craft. Maximum time in the water will be 10 minutes.
- Covid-19 restrictions mean that changing rooms are still closed.
- Please consider this when booking a session.
What you will/may need on the day:
- A pen (just for the registration form).
- Warm clothing - layers. Waterproof/umbrella in case of rain.
- Swim kit normal swimsuit minimum. Wetsuit if you have one.
- Loan wetsuits available but Covid-19 cleaning procedures are in place.
- Swim socks / shoes if needed but not essential.
- Swim gloves if needed but not essential.
- Hat or swim cap again not essential as this isn't a normal swim session.
- Flip flops/crocs or similar for the water's edge recommended but not essential.
- Warm drink/flask highly recommended.